More than 3,000 residents of Unguwar Guru community in Sukuntuni Ward of Kankia Local Government Area of Katsina State have fled their homes and are currently taking refuge in uncompleted buildings, a primary school and with relatives following renewed attacks by bandits.
The community has suffered bandit attacks in recent times. The latest assaults happened on Saturday and Monday, during which 13 people were killed, and several women and girls were abducted.
The displaced residents, who have been in Rimaye community for more than nine days, told Daily Trust that they left their homes with virtually nothing and have not received any assistance from either the Katsina State Government or the Federal Government.
Muhammadu Lurwanu, a resident of Unguwar Guru, said the entire community, with a population of more than 3,000 people, had been forced to flee after the attacks.
He appealed to the Katsina State Government to urgently intervene and provide food, clothing, water and other essential relief materials to the displaced residents.
“Everybody has fled Unguwar Guru. We are more than 3,000 people, and we are now scattered in different places. Some are staying in uncompleted buildings, while those in Rimaye are taking refuge at a primary school or squatting with relatives,” he said.
Another resident, Yahaya Matsiga, described the situation as “very serious and pathetic,” saying the displaced families were in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
As of 3:00 pm on Wednesday, the residents said some of them had not eaten any meal.
They said their houses had been burnt during the attacks, while many families were separated and unable to account for some of their members.
Muhammadu Sagiru, also from Unguwar Guru, said the attacks had left residents traumatised, with several people sustaining injuries and requiring hospital treatment.
He said about eight people were killed during the attacks, while at least five others were injured, including himself.
According to him, the situation became so dire that some of those killed were buried without adequate materials required for proper burial arrangements.
“Many families cannot account for their loved ones. People have been traumatised, and some of those injured have been hospitalised while others resort to self-medication. We are appealing to the government to come to our rescue,” Sagiru said.
Hashimu Isa said the residents were particularly concerned about the security situation in the community, alleging that the bandits were still around Unguwar Guru.
He appealed for adequate security deployment to enable the displaced residents to return temporarily to evacuate their farm produce, which they believed was one of the reasons for the attacks.
“Our farm produce is still there. We need security personnel to escort us so that we can go back and evacuate what we have cultivated. We believe the attack was also intended to prevent us from harvesting and taking away our farm produce,” he said.
Muhammadu Sani Wanzam, another resident, described their experience as terrible and called on the government to urgently assist the displaced families.
The residents said their prolonged stay in Rimaye had created additional humanitarian challenges, particularly at the primary school where many displaced persons are sheltering.
They appealed for food items, clothing, adequate water and toilet facilities, warning that the lack of sanitation could trigger disease outbreaks among the displaced population, especially children and vulnerable persons.
They said that despite spending more than nine days away from their homes, no meaningful assistance had reached them from the state or federal authorities.
Meanwhile, the Katsina State Government said it is awaiting a detailed report from the local authorities on the recent attack on Unguwar Guru community.
The Senior Special Assistant to Governor Dikko Umar Radda on Banditry, Sa’idu Ibrahim Danja, said the state government was yet to receive an official report from the authorities in the affected area.
Danja said the government would be in a better position to determine the appropriate response after receiving the report from the local authorities.
“We are waiting for the report from the local authorities of the area or Kankia Local Government before we can make further comments or take the necessary steps,” Danja said.
He acknowledged the difficult circumstances faced by the displaced residents and commended communities that had opened their doors to those forced to flee their homes.
The Chairman of Kankia local government council, Alhaji Salisu Gizy, did not respond to repeated telephone calls and text messages seeking his reaction to the attack and the displacement of residents.
Daily Trust
